That's right. I bet you thought I didn't have it in me: two blog posts in one day. Well, it was a rough one. It rained almost nonstop all day. In fact, It is probably still raining now. At one point, Thing 2 whined because "I want to go outside backyard." Sadly, our backyard, a rather pleasant place, gets downright squishy after heavy rains, and there are a few mud bogs, thanks to the boys, who love to play hard. Add to all that the threat of thunder storms, and you've got two little boys with serious cabin fever, two little boys too used to playing outside.
On another note, if you haven't kept up with me or my wife in real life or on Facebook (because, let's face it, Facebook is not reality), then you have no clue what I have been going through the last several months, though I have blogged about it before. To be fair, I have no room to complain because Leah Marie has it much worse. Thing 3 is kicking her trash (her body is almost literally falling apart): with severe (or what I like to call "hyper") hyperemesis, gestational diabetes, extreme difficulty breathing, endless fatigue, trouble sleeping, and now the attack of eczema, Leah Marie is M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E. What complicates matters is her inability to help around the house, for the most part. Sometimes she is able to fold clothes while partially lying in bed. Yay! I say this, not because I am so overwhelmed and wish she could help more, but because I am so overwhelmed and I know she longs to be able to help more. That adds more emotional and mental suffering to her already incomprehensible misery. In other words, if you are going to pity someone, feel sympathy for or empathize with someone, don't worry about me. She needs it all.
For me, the hardest part has been . . . well, everything has been hard. I was so (insert outrageous hyperbole plus expletive here) tired of putting the Things to bed by myself months ago. There is probably no greater challenge in our home these days. Mustering up the energy alone for that is too much work, yet I press on. Household chores? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Sorry. Anyway, I get behind, I mean way behind, but for the most part I have kept things together. While the kitchen may look great right now, and stays somewhat clean most of the time, one would expect that from someone who likes to spent time in the kitchen, cooking. Just don't look under the wire shelf in the main bathroom. Dust bunnies? HA! Dust mammoths, and they will trample you. You know that cliche, "tip of the iceberg"? Well, we aren't even to the calving phase. Life has been mercilessly pounding me from all sides. If the dishes are clean, the lawn needs mowed, then a diapers needs changes, then its snack time, or lunch time, or dinner time, or bath time, or bed time, or someone needs a time out, or laundry needs to be folded (okay, laundry always needs to be folded: my biggest weakness). Floors have been neglected along with dozens of other things, and I don't mean just the house. You want to talk about being overwhelmed beyond the breaking point? I don't have any time to spare. How am I writing this blog post you ask? I am neglecting something else extremely important: sleep. I know, there are droves of people out there, many that I know, who have suffered or are suffering greater challenges, and if I could take a long enough time out, I would do what I could to give them a hand. Yes, I am self-absorbed right now, but I prefer to think of it as family absorbed. Yes, at times I would rather be reading, writing, publishing, developing greater and grander scholarship and courses, and even preparing for fall semester courses. In fact, at times there are a host of things I might rather be doing (or not doing), but my family needs me right now, so that is where you will find me. In fact, that is where you can almost always find me, even in times of less stress, in times of plenty, in time less demanding, with my family, making memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment