From the general to the specifics. If you know me at all, you know that I am not really generalizing in the above paragraph. I am referring to a specific politician: the Republican. Now, I am going to spew some of my own propaganda, a stereotype: Democrats, statistically (on average), are more educated. I am not saying that that has everything to do with it, but take my profession for instance. I am a professor of English literature. Advanced degrees take a lot of work, but more importantly, they take a ton of research to complete. Course work and other requirements for advanced degrees train students to be skeptical, to question everything, and never to take someone else’s word at face value. The name of the game is study and learn for yourself. This is why it drives me insane when I hear intelligent men and women repeating the most outlandish claims about something like, say, the Affordable Care Act (ACA). John Boehner, for example, just the other day, was spouting off about how the ACA doesn’t allow Americans to choose their own health care plans. Anyone who knows anything about the ACA knows that is a load of rubbish. Do I need to explain this again? Perhaps my favorite pieces of propaganda (related to the same thing) are the following:

AND

Sadly, the ACA neither provides a public option nor universal health care. Yet, Republicans and other critics of the ACA want you to think that there is some hidden agenda that has been kept from the public. If you have health care, you will keep that exact same health care. When you are ready to purchase health care, you can choose which ever plan or company you wish. Also, the above reference to page 114 line 22 is an attempt to dare people to check, but the specifics of it will almost always trip people up. However, it’s bogus. Don’t believe me? Read the bill yourself.
Finally, the “tax hike.” This is the biggest joke yet. People can’t stop talking about the largest tax hike in history and how that will destroy the middle class. I am of course referring to the “mandate” that everyone acquire health insurance or pay a penalty. First, even though we are calling it a tax these days, thanks to Chief Justice Roberts, no one is paying it yet, so let’s keep that “largest tax hike” language alone for now. Because of the ACA, so many more people will be able to afford health insurance (and, yes, it will be the insurance they want, unless they qualify for public assistance), so by the time the mandate rolls out, that “tax hike” might be minimal. And do try to remember folks, the mandate was put into play to keep health care costs down. Every time someone with out health insurance gets health care, we are all still paying for it in premium hikes. The penalty, I mean tax, will provide the funds to cover the uninsured, so it is like those paying the tax are paying for their own health care any way and not freeloading, or taking money directly out of everyone else’s pockets. What fascinates me is that I hear Republicans all the time complaining about people getting a free ride with any type of public assistance, but as soon as someone puts into place a “tax” that prevents this very thing from happening, the Republicans cry foul. So what do you want exactly? This is what happens when someone gets confused by his or her own propaganda.
No comments:
Post a Comment