Sunday, March 11, 2012
A Friend Like Me
I long for a good friendship. Don't get me wrong, Leah Marie will always be my best friend, and I cherish that. However, men and women need more out of life. Leah Marie and I have had this conversation many times, often sparked by personal experiences we would rather have avoided (see this blog post). So it seems that I must continuously suffer disappointment. I need a friend who is not afraid of feelings, being close socially, mentally, emotionally, and physically (I'm very "touchy-feely"). Basically, I need a friend like me. The best way to describe my aspirations to a close friendship is to say that I am the hopeless romantic in the seeking of friendship. It's the Holy Grail of social life for me: someone I can count on for anything at any time; someone who is invested in getting to know and understand me; someone who suspends judgement (shout out to Sextus!). I have had brief moments of that friendship, glimpses, tastes that keep hope alive, but then they fade or never really get off the ground, and they leave me wanting. If this post tells you anything about me, it is that I am clearly not afraid to talk about who I am (the real me, all out there, heart on his sleeve kind of a guy) or what I want (I don't embarrass easily). Life is so much simpler that way. Thanks goodness for my family. If not for Leah Marie and the Things, I might go insane for lack of real and deep human connections.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bro, in this department I have been very lucky.I have friends that would die for me and I for them. Old friends (these friendships get better with age). I hope you find someone like this. It is a blessing!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sis, I am so glad to hear that for you. I seem to have some friendships blossoming here with that potential.
ReplyDelete