It still amazes me that some people insist on proclaiming the evils of certain types of governments by arguing gospel principles. When I speak of the gospel, I speak of the one in which I believe, the gospel of Jesus Christ as taught by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The last time I checked, the Articles of Faith proclaim that all members, regardless of their country “believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law” (AF 12). The Book of Mormon teaches that the best form of government is not a democracy, “if it were possible that you could have just men to be your kings … I say unto you, if this could always be the case then it would be expedient that ye should always have kings to rule over you” (Mosiah 29:13). But King Mosiah doesn’t stop there. Even though he is about to establish a democracy, he goes on to expound the dangers, yea the very evils of such a government. And finally, the last time I checked the scriptures, Jesus was a socialist: “sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven” (Luke 18:22). Is it more complicated than all this? Of course it is, but I just wanted to show that I can play this game, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment