Friday, February 17, 2012

Republicans Seem Clueless

Most Republicans hate the idea that Barak Obama is president, and the thought of his re-election makes them cringe or their hearts go into palpitations.  I am not saying that they are racist; that's not it at all.  I am sure that they would feel this way about any Democrat in the White House.  What I think has most of them so upset lately is that Obama's approval rating is steadily climbing, and as more people realize what he has done for this country, and as he presses forward in full campaign mode (he's a rockstar, superstar campaigner), the Republican establishment cannot help but feel their legs get a little wobbly.

What I don't get is how divided the Republicans are.  Okay, I do get it, and I understand it to some degree, but what I really don't get is how clueless they are about the upcoming presidential race.  Today's America is as moderate as it has ever been.  Oh, there are plenty of extremists on both sides, but I know far more moderates than I have ever known.  The extremists, as we all know, are just the loudest and, thus, easiest to hear.  That being said, I wonder how much the Republicans really want to win the White House this year.  They have waffled on so many different candidates, have supported multiple front runners, and are still completely unsure about whom they want to put their whole weight behind.  The only constant in the whole equation has been Mitt Romney.  When he's not the front runner, he's the also ran, the runner up, the first in the line of whom Republicans seem determined to keep from the nomination.  Why?  Newt Gingrich, who seems well out of the running these days, has no chance against pretty much anyone.  Rick Santorum is just as un-electable.  He is a paragon of extremism on too many fronts.  He has no chance.  Mitt Romney has a proven record of moderate political stances while still proving in many ways he is wholeheartedly conservative on many of the issues Republicans embrace.  He is the only chance Republicans have to beat Obama, yet many Republicans, at best, are disinterested in his winning the nomination.  Despite how much Republicans seem to loathe Obama and how much they desperately want to see him out of the White House they seem determined to turn their back on their only shot even to come close.  It is absolutely crazy, but it's fine by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment