Saturday, September 15, 2012

BEST. DAD. EVER!

Although I wanted it to be even more, I loved the Color Run. An estimated 8,000 people participated on an exceptional closed course. We (Leah Marie, the Things, and I) found ourselves in the fourth wave, but despite so many waves, we encountered plenty of gridlock. I forced my way through some pretty tight spots with the wide, two-seater jogger that the Things occupied. It was just a typical Saturday run for us, since I often push the Things on longer and more grueling runs once a week. The difference, of course, were the thousands of running companions, and the multitudes of adoring fans.

While bobbing and weaving through the crowd to find a path through, I must have run at least an extra half mile. But the best part, aside from getting doused with multiple clouds of colored corn starch, was the fellow runners cheering us on. Within the first quarter mile, I made my first set of fans. As I blazed past some young men, I heard one say, "Look at that guy! He's the man." I heard many more comments I cannot remember, but the next would be, "Stroller man, you're my hero." Shortly thereafter, I passed a couple, and the guy said, "You guys rock." Then the highlight, not five minutes later, as I pushed with what I had left to climb the last hill of the route, "BEST. DAD. EVER!" A young woman had leaned in toward me and had given me an earful. In the end, we left multi-colored, excited, and not terribly tired. Fun can make a huge difference. The Color Run organizers don't time the race. It's all about the experience, and what an experience we had.

No comments:

Post a Comment