Monday, September 17, 2012

Sluggish

If you have read enough of my blog posts, you have read at least one that references the physical state I constantly fight against. For those of you who don't know, I used to weigh over 400 pounds. I had a 62 inch waist and wore a 66 suit. The pinnacle of my recent string of fitness success came two years ago when I began competing in triathlons. Sadly, I have not competed in a triathlon in almost two years, and I feel like it has taken a bite of my once beastly training regimen. Don't misunderstand, I still hit it hard five days a week (sometimes six), but sometimes it is not with the same intensity because there is really nothing I am training for. That is what really made fitness fun, training. Well, I am a far cry from that fitness level of two years ago, and one main reason is that I never get to swim. The other, I have already mentioned, I am not training for anything specific. Two years ago I maintained a lean 204-208 regularly, even 202 before one race. These days, I am lucky if my weight dips below 220, which it rarely does. Not a huge difference, but from a performance standpoint, mentally and physically, it feels like night and day.

Needing something to kick me in the pants, I have decided to start running more because I can always do that. Leah Marie is on a running kick lately, and I am looking to capitalize on it. We recently ran the Labor Day 5k here in BV, and this past weekend, if you read my posts, you know that we participated in the Color Run Richmond. Next month we will run two more 5ks, and in November we will run a 10k. Thinking about PRs and my first ever 10k is quality motivation. I want to make myself as streamlined as I was in the triathlon days, and hopefully, I will be back to the tri-sport next year, along with regular weigh-ins around 210 again. Here we go, feet to pavement.

No comments:

Post a Comment