Monday, June 25, 2012
.333
The title of this post is related to an embarrassing statistic. I have always loved baseball, and for years I have rooted for one team that has never ceased letting me down: the Chicago Cubs. I love these guys, whoever they are. The problem is that they are so lost in a culture of losing that I wonder whether they will ever find a way out of it. They have come so close in my lifetime. They have had some absolutely amazing players, some of the best in the history of baseball (Ryne Sandberg and Greg Maddux, hello!), but not matter how much the Cubs have stacked the deck in the past, they have not won a World Series in what will soon be 104 years. My dad lived for 77 years as a die-hard Cubs fan, and saw them come even closer than I have. He remembered their last trip to the World Series, 1945. Of course, they lost. So that brings me to .333, the Cubs' winning percentage this year so far. This is usually one of the best times of the year, my favorite sport in full swing, but the Cubs leave me little to cheer about, and little hope for the near future despite some budding stars. At 24 and 48, they are the worst team in Major League Baseball this year. Yes, it is often depressing to be a Cubs fan, but what kind of a fan would I be if I gave up on them? I'm here for you guys, even at your worst, and all I ask is what every other fan asks and hopes for, and that some even pray for, one season of glory. I'll be waiting, not patiently, but I will be waiting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment