Saturday, June 9, 2012

Being Gay

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a "Mormon," and I am not gay. However, I know people who are gay, even some who are Mormon. This is an interesting time we live in as far as being gay or, really, as far as being anything. Judgement hangs in the air, and it seems that it is especially rampant among those who are "believers." I believe that being homosexual is not a sin. I firmly believe that people are born gay and that, quite possibly, there is a genetic predisposition to same-sex attraction. You can be gay and a good Christian.

I apologize for making this post more complicated than it needs to be. I can sum this up in just a few more sentences, though I could write pages and pages on it, even discuss it for hours. For all the believers out there, I mean, mostly, Christians who mercilessly persecute others (whether publicly or privately), I ask a simple question: What would Jesus do? I know, I know, who says that any more? Well, I ask, Why would we ever stop saying it? Yes, the question became such a cliche in the late '90s, and the notion is certainly not as mainstream as it once was (thought I do still see the wrist bands on occasion). Let me tell you what Jesus did do: he made company with sinners, publicans, lepers, halt, maim, blind, and those otherwise unclean. I am certain some of those men and women lived with same-sex attraction. Did Jesus shun or turn away any of these people? No, his message was always the same: come unto me. Jesus loved and still loves us all without condition: gay, straight, pedophile, serial killer, smoker, boozer, Democrat, Republican, Socialist, Communist, dictator, king or queen, etc. God is no respecter of persons; therefore, we need not condemn or turn our backs on anyone. We, too, should love all and even make company with them, extending the hand of fellowship and having compassion for them in whatever struggles they face because they face many of the same struggles we face. That said, please don't wrest my words. I think my intent is clear. If not, I am happy to discuss the issue further.

No comments:

Post a Comment