Thursday, April 26, 2012
LIB 490: Contemporary Issues
Tonight I attended the final class of the course identified in the title of this blog post. It was taught by Jeff Benedict. Tonight's culminating experience was a series of debates on, yes, contemporary issues. I dreaded my attendance, but it is one of my duties as a member of the Curriculum Committee to be a second observer. It was fascinating, and I can honestly say I enjoyed almost every minute it. I even grilled some of the sides with some tough questions. I loved it. The debates were on pornography, eminent domain, sex education and contraceptives (including medication) in middle schools, and the death penalty for child rape. Everyone did a solid job, especially considering that they were frequently grilled by Professor Benedict. The guy is an award winning investigative journalist, and he has a JD, so he knows his stuff, and he was all over them if he found a chink in their armor. As much as I initially dreaded it, I want to go back for more. I am looking forward to the opportunity to do that again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment