I asked around and received a high recommendation on an inspector. The guy was amazing and thorough, unlike anything I expected. Sadly, he found multiple issues that we could have never known. At least two of those issues are major, and nothing we want to deal with or that we can afford to deal with. The saddest part is that we had put all this mental effort into plotting out how we were going to redo the walls, make additions to the kitchen, and in all ways make the house our own. Then we had to abruptly stop fantasizing. I am over it, but it has taken the wind out of my sails. My motivation to buy a house has dwindled, and I don't feel the same excitement. We have another round of houses to look at this week, and if we don't have that revelatory moment, we are going to cool our search for a while. While I have been excited to look at houses, the upcoming round has me feeling more dread than excitement. I'll keep you updated.
Monday, April 2, 2012
The Search Continues
I mentioned in a recent post that we made an offer on a house and that the seller accepted the offer. We were ecstatic. Home-ownership, something that had felt so far away, was in our hands. Of course, we made the offer conditional on the house satisfactorily passing our inspection. We had already planned to make a lot of upgrades to the house. For one, the walls were unfinished (they have wood panels nailed directly to the studs), but we were willing to take the steps to finish them ourselves. That, among a few other things, helped us to negotiate a killer deal on the house. We knew we had a lot of work ahead of us, but we also saw great potential in the house. For one, someone had started to finish the basement, including installing a bathroom and putting in place the plumbing for a kitchen sink. We saw ourselves finishing the basement and renting it out to help pay off the house sooner. It was the perfect plan. There were many other positives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment