Sunday, April 1, 2012

Unproductive?

I always come out of weekends feeling unproductive. I always think that I am going to get a lot of extra reading done. I actually love reading, but I do it all week long for work, and when I get to the weekend, I am so exhausted, it is hard to focus sufficiently to get anything out of it. Additionally, I am almost constantly bombarded by two rambunctious Things who, love to "go fast," jump on me, drive little cars all over me, play "chicken" (Angry Birds) on my Kindle Fire, want to have a snack, etc. Although I come out of the weekends feeling like I have accomplished little or nothing, when I look back, I realize that I have accomplished a lot of important tasks, all of them related to being there for Things 1 & 2. They see me less during the week, so every chance they get to pounce, they take it. It taxes my already tired body and mind and threatens to demolish my patience, but I am grateful for the opportunity to spend the extra time with them, to be there for them, and to be their dad as much as I can. I guess that makes for a productive weekend after all.

2 comments:

  1. I often feel the same when I get to the end of the weekend and feel I haven't accomplished anything. It's not that I didn't do anything, just nothing that I wanted to get done. I too recently had the realization that I'm doing a different and more important kind of work...being a dad. It also helps my wife retain a little sanity when I take on the childcare for a couple days.

    I enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Parker. Hope you all are doing well.

      Delete