Friday, May 11, 2012
I Support Mitt Romney
Ha! Fooled you if the title to this post piqued your interest. Let me make this clear from the start. I will vote for Barack Obama in this year's presidential election. I believe a lot of things about Mitt Romney and one of those things is that despite his gaffes, despite how out of touch with middle America he makes himself look, I believe that Mittens is a great guy. I also believe that despite some of his ridiculous stances and crazy "politicking," he wants what is best for this country. Of course, that means he, too, should vote for Barack Obama. What I certainly don't believe, or what I should say that I am sick of are the attacks on character from both sides. Now I don't mean Obama's attacks on Romney or Romney's attacks on Obama. Those have largely been about policy. However, there are plenty who would have us believe that so many other characteristics should factor into how we view each man's potential to run this country. For example, the religious beliefs of both candidates have been attacked. Come on, people. More recently, in fact, I heard the story on NPR this morning, some of Mitt Romney's high school class mates have come forward to out him as a bully, who on one occasion, with some friends, pinned down an effeminate boy and cut off his long, dyed-blond hair. Raise your hand if you were a jerk in high school or at least had some moments of acting like a jerk or treating others with ill favor. We were all teenagers. Almost all of us acted out in some way. Those who did not were the exceptions to the "rule." Does anyone know, without looking, how old Mittens is? He is 65 years old. That means he started high school over 50 years ago! First, he lived in a completely different American culture. Second, remember how most of us were jerks in high school? Remember that day when you finally grew up and realized that about yourself? I do. In fact, I can distinctly remember years after high school, meeting people who were arch nemeses (at one time or another) in high school, and I felt like I was catching up with a dear old friend. Whatever Romney did 50 years ago as a know-it-all bratty teenager has nothing to do with the man he is today. If you don't want to vote for Romney to be president, do it for the right reasons because there are plenty to choose from.
Labels:
Politics
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment