Saturday, May 5, 2012
Whacked!
I play racquetball a few times a week over at Washington & Lee, and I appreciate their allowing us to do so. I play with a great group of guys who are very good. It has really helped my game. If you have never played, then you have no idea how dangerous the game can be, especially if you are inexperienced. For every sport, following the rules is vital for one's own protection. In a game of racquetball, the most important thing is wearing protection for the eyes. From there, it's all about not being in the wrong place, especially when playing doubles. In that case, the court can get a little crowded. Beware of the ball. It has hit me at well over 100 mph more times than I can ever remember. It doesn't always hurt, but if it hits just right, it can sting for several minutes and end all feeling in that area of skin for at least the same amount of time. Yesterday morning I received one of the worst pains I have ever received on the court. I was standing too close to an opposing player, whose follow through whacked me in the left shoulder. Whacked is probably an understatement. I rarely bruise, but it has left me with one of the worst bruises I have ever had. To protect my squeamish readers, I will refrain from posting a picture. For a while, I thought my shoulder was in serious trouble. 36 hours removed, it's feeling more and more like soft tissue damage only, nothing torn, just severely bruised. Yeah, racquetball can be dangerous if one is not exercising the appropriate amount of awareness, but it sure is fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment