I have heard this appellation too many times from pro-lifers, and when I use ‘pro-lifers,’ I mean it with complete respect because I am, essentially, pro-life. The funny thing is that there will be some pro-lifers who read this (or do I imagine my blog is more popular than it actually is?) who will exclaim, “I never use the term ‘pro-abortion’ when referring people who are pro-choice.” Why is that funny? Because, though that is likely true, when many of those people say “pro-choice” their tone says “pro-abortion.” And, yes, I am being judgmental, but let me get to the point in a round-about way. First, I am pro-life. I abhor the thought of abortion and believe that it is absolutely wrong. I believe it is a sin. However, there absolutely must be exceptions to that rule. In fact, my own faith, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, allows multiple exceptions: In cases of rape or incest, when “a competent physician determines that the life or health of the mother is in serious jeopardy, or a competent physician determines that the fetus has severe defects that will not allow the baby to survive beyond birth.” Now that you know my church’s stance, you know my stance. Sadly, there are people in this world who think that it is okay for women, even young women (as young as teenagers) who are the victims of rape or incest, to suffer additional physiological and psychological trauma just to avoid abortion. If all life is precious to them, why do they always forget about the life and well-being of the woman, whose body it is? And don’t get me started on how these people who claim to hold life so dear are fanatic when preaching the virtues of the death penalty.
Now, that is not the way all pro-lifers feel. In fact, and fortunately, I know far more pro-lifers that feel exactly the way I do. However, many of them have their own problem when it comes to the treatment of the people who are pro-choice. Again, whether they actually call such people pro-abortion is not as much the point as is their treatment of those people otherwise. I don’t care who you are; no one is pro-abortion. We need to stop vilifying people who do not share our beliefs, stop demonizing people who are pro-choice. No one wants to see life terminated. What we need to do is consider the source of their argument. They simply believe that a woman’s body is her own, and she should be allowed to do with it as she pleases, regardless of the consequences. It’s a fair argument, regardless of whether you agree with it. I could go on and on and on, but this will suffice for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment