When I read the responses to last night's debate, I wonder what people really care about. Do we want to see this country united, working together to better society, or do we just care about President Obama losing the election? I know I left the door open for a wisecrack: "Defeating Obama will better society." There, I beat you to the punch. There are a lot of divisive comments on both sides, but there are so many more on the Republican side. It all makes me sick. I read a great op-ed today in the Washington Post. Andy Schmookler, running for congress in our district, gets it. I have personally met and talked to this guy, and he is exactly what we need more of in government. In closing, I would like to share with you one of the comments I read on Facebook in the aftermath: "I have watched many debates over the years and tonight was the first time I have seen such disrespect. Joe Biden really embarrassed the American people tonight. I can't even believe this man was allowed to be Vice President. It tells a lot about Obama. I'm just really disappointed." To be clear, I have always thought of the man who wrote that status as a brother. He helped see me through one of the most difficult times in my life. That being said, I can't understand his comment. It makes no sense in its own context. It is abstract, and having watched the debate, I must say, it was very "debatey" to me. In fact, it is exactly what I expected from Biden, and it turned out better than I had hoped.
No comments:
Post a Comment