Well, 'tis the season, as they say, and we decked our halls today, well, the living room, and the front of the house. We are a jolly folk around here. We put the tree up in the bedroom to protect it from the Things and to give Leah Marie some extra Christmas joy, since it is her favorite time of the year. We also hammered out a bunch of chores, including the dishes, which are still behind on thanks to T-Day.
Tomorrow is small business Saturday, and I hope to spend some of it in downtown Lexington and Buena Vista, supporting the wonderful little businesses and people we have become familiar with. In this season of dark shopping days, hopefully, we can shine a light on those who make a community what it is.
Speaking of Black Friday, we stayed in all day, except for a little decorating and yard work as well as a family hike up the mountain practically in our front yard. I did, however, make one purchase, online. We have been in the market for a good wall mount for our flat screen television. Today, I found a killer deal on the internet for one.
Leah Marie and I have spent the evening watching an edited version of Shawshank Redemption. One of the best movies I have seen. And though it is only a movie, it has me thinking about the horrific state of the prison system in this country. Many taxpayers don't care about helping and rehabilitating criminals. They are only interested in seeing their taxes cover executions or life imprisonments. If you treat people like animals, then they are going to act like animals. In my opinion, much of today's prison system fits all too well the prohibitive "cruel and unusual punishment" declared by the US Constitution.
No comments:
Post a Comment