Thursday, November 29, 2012

Transition Period

A quick and easy post tonight. I sported the minimalist shoes this morning for my tempo run. I noticed a lot of things. First, I felt slow, but I am sure that comes with the transition. In some ways I am learning how to run all over again, though I have always tried to develop a better running form. As part of the transition, I need to be more careful about my foot strike because I have a little less cushioning. This means shorter strides but also quicker strides, quicker cadence, which makes for more efficient or more economical running. You might be thinking that less cushioning leads to harder impact on the knees and greater joint pain, but by the nature of a proper foot strike and shorter strides, one can put the body into better alignment. The result was actually less knee pain than I have been experiencing of late. Also, I have a bad pressure point on the bottom of my left foot that has bothered me horribly for years. I hardly noticed on the run this morning because I didn't have those high heals forcing my weight down on it. So far, everything looks toward a brighter future in the world of running for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment