Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Minimalist Movement

I am a big dude. A little bit bigger than I would like, but I am doing fine as I kick myself in the pants this week to jump start a new era in rock star superstar fitness. I am sore, and my muscles are tight, but I am holding up well. Tomorrow I take the next step in my training evolution. The last couple years have seen a huge trend, a push into barefoot running because it is more natural. Over the years, the development of athletic shoes have removed our feet further and further from the ground. Our feet, and many of their crucial stabilizing muscles, no longer make contact with the ground on a consistent basis. Raised heels can lead to joint pain (especially knees and ankles), taut muscles (especially the calf muscles and hamstrings), and lower back pain. I have especially dealt with the former two issues on a fairly consistent basis, and I have noticed an increase in pain the more I run and walk in shoes that were designed to provide cushion meant to protect. But, as I said, all that cushion takes feet out of the equation. I could go on, but let me just say, I am on board with this minimalist movement in athletic and running shoes. At first I kept my distance because I am a big guy, and I was worried that I would cause more injuries trying to run in shoes with less support, but my joint pain and muscle tightness have convinced me otherwise, but that has not convinced me as much as how good my feet feel when I take off my running shoes. Tomorrow, then, I will pound pavement in my first pair of minimalist running shoes. I will never go full barefoot. I believe in some protection for my feet, but the advances in shoe materials have provided extremely light, super flexible soles and shoes with barefoot lasts (the "molded" design). This places feet back where they belong, flat on the ground. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment