Monday, November 5, 2012

If I were President

On the eve of the election, I wish to discuss, in general terms, what I would do to change this country and the world. First, let me take a moment to call out Governor Willard "Mitt" Romney. In one of his recent adds, Mittens exclaims how he wants to be president for all Americans. How ironic that the flip-flopping pancake candidate, never mind that he essentially shunned 47% of Americans when he was speaking freely and didn't think anyone else was watching. That is the real Mittens, the one who speaks his mind when he thinks there will be no consequences, when he thinks that it won't hurt his presidential bid to share what he really thinks about nearly half of this country.

If I were president . . .
I would be president to all of America. I wouldn't just reach across party lines, I would get in people's faces, call everyone out, not rest until people started to cooperate.

I would love everyone. There is too much hate in this world, too much intolerance, too much "I know better than you" attitude.

I would meet privately with every world leader I could as soon as I could and find a way to build on common beliefs behind closed doors, a place where we can talk about things that the world may never have the privilege of knowing.

I would tour every single state and try to meet as many people as I could.

I would meet frequently with congress to discuss how best to apply the living document that is the Constitution to the needs of today's citizens in order to prevent it from becoming an obsolete and irrelevant piece of paper.

I would make Leah Marie my Chief of Staff. She has the greatest political mind I know. I wouldn't dare to make a decision without her advice.

I would likely pick a vice president with a different party affiliation, and I would certainly build a bipartisan cabinet. Opposing viewpoints should never be feared but embraced. When we disagree civilly, then we provide the best atmosphere for productively working together.

I would make a restructuring of education a priority. The education in this country is spiraling in the wrong direction so fast, we might not be able to recover it before we create a disaster.

I would do everything in my power to forgive all current student loan debt and set up a system that allows those who wish to go to college to do so at a minimum expense or with a far more manageable loan structure far better than the usury in which lenders are engaged in today.

I would push for universal health care with every ounce of energy I have, looking for a way to see everyone have the opportunity to live a happy, healthy life.

Okay, I could go on and on, and I know I haven't said anything terribly groundbreaking, but I will say a couple things. One, this post is not an opportunity to engage in a political discussion or debate, neither is it an opportunity for you to criticize romantic ideology. It's mostly meant as a daydream. Two, I have a gift. I can get along with almost anyone. I know I could make a difference. Will I ever run for president? I can say with 99.9999% confidence that I will not, but I sure hope someone like me does. Romney is not the guy. Too many people look to him as some kind of savior, and many Mormons will vote for him simply because he is a Mormon. This makes absolutely no sense and frustrates me more than anything. I love President Obama, but he has had a few missteps. In the next four years, I want to see him put his foot down more and maybe even use it to give some people in this country and some members of congress a swift kick in the butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment