Saturday, November 17, 2012

Wasted

I am completely exhausted. It has been a long day. It started with my first ever 10k. Although I had run six or more miles multiple times in training, I had no idea how to pace myself for this race. Fortunately, I paced it almost perfectly. In fact, when the race was over, I had a little more left in the tank than I needed. I didn't quite leave it all out on the course. I finished (unofficially [I started and stopped my own timer as I crossed the start and finish lines]) in 59:19. I probably started a little too slow. My first mile was about 10:45, which for me is considerably slow, especially in a race. My next mile was around 10:00, then 9:42, followed by 9:22-ish, and then back to back 8:55 miles. Those negative splits are some of the best I have done, and what makes them more impressive is the fact that I was still getting faster the last couple of miles. It makes running that half marathon a greater possibility. Even more impressive than my showing, while pushing both Things in the jogging stroller, no less, was Leah Marie's performance. She, amazingly, simply doubled her best 5k time. If you know anything about running, you know that that is tough stuff, considering that a 10k requires a completely different pace. We had so much fun and look forward to more longer runs. They have proven some of the best family experiences for us. I highly recommend it. The family that runs together, stays healthy together (hopefully).

No comments:

Post a Comment