Thursday, January 10, 2013
Boners
We are a culture trapped in language. We almost cannot do anything without language. We need it to communicate, to define, to express, to do any number of other things. The funny thing about language, it changes. As long as people use a language, that language will evolve, and usage will almost almost dictate meaning. For example, since I was a young lad, in about 2nd or 3rd grade, I have understood the title of this post to refer to something taboo in ordinary company. If you don't know what I am talking about, then perhaps you share my mother's ignorance of that "recent" trend. She uses the word all the time, according to its previous denotation: mistake. Even though I know this, I cannot help but crack a smile every time she says, "I made a boner." A lot of words have undergone similar transformations, like the word gay, for example. What are some that you can think of?
Labels:
Education,
Miscellaneous
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment