Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Resolutions? I don't need 'em.

I abhor New-Year's Resolutions. I may have shared this in the past because I am sometimes quite vocal about it. I have multiple issues with such resolutions, including the fact that they only come once a year (people should be striving to better themselves all the time not waiting for the new year to start [which is just an arbitrary measurement of time invented by humans]) and that many of these resolutions are so abstract they are almost impossible to adequately measure or keep track of. Well, I have decided to share some specific goals I have set for myself in the coming year, call them resolutions if you will, but they are things that I have been pondering or working on to some degree already. Here are some personal goals in no particular order:

1) I finally need to suck it up and lose the extra 10-15 pounds I have been carrying for the last year or so.

2) I currently have an essay under consideration at a scholarly journal. I have been working on developing a
solid outline for a book-length publication, which I hope to have under contract before the year is out.

2a) I hope to not only have the currently submitted essay accepted for publication but at least one other  essay, too.

2b) While I am already scheduled to attend two academic conferences and make presentations this spring, I hope to attend and present at the John Milton Conference in Murfreesboro, TN this fall for the fourth time.

3) I will run a half marathon, hopefully in the coming Spring.

4) I want to run a 22 minute 5k. My personal best is 23:43 (beating that time, however, would be sufficient).

5) I want to participate in some triathlons this year. This will be tough with Leah Marie's hyperemesis gravidarum and then with a new baby the latter half of the year, not to mention that I currently do not have access to a swimming pool to rebuild my swim base. If by some miracle I am able to start swimming on a consistent basis, then I will add the goal of finally participating in an Olympic/International Distance Triathlon.

These, as well as some other goals I am working to develop, will also provide some blog fuel for the coming year, as I update my progress in these areas. May you all set specific goals and fulfill each one in turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment