Friday, January 25, 2013
Yes, my religious beliefs do sway my politics
This may come as a shock to some, but I am a Democrat. Of course, if you read my coming out post last year, this will not shock you. Also, if you have read any of my political posts, this will not shock you. I recently read a fairly ridiculous blog post about Mormons' religious beliefs being the foundation for their political beliefs. The problem with the post, and the main reason I call it ridiculous, is the fact that the man brushes all Mormons with the same broad stroke. He generalizes, or, more accurately, he stereotypes, which is something the right has always been good at. The writer also assumes that only the right cares about liberty because clearly President Obama, and by extension the whole Democratic Party, is pursuing a tyrannical agenda of forced policies. The President is only interested in limiting our liberties, and so on and so forth. First, I would like to know what is so liberating about leaving people sick, naked, and hungry. That is precisely what government entitlement programs address: feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, and taking care of the sick. If conservative Christians really are disciples of Christ, then I would like each one of them to ask, "What would Jesus do?" When one is consumed by any or all of these afflictions, that one has no liberty. That man or woman who is hungered, naked, sick, etc. is in bondage. Extending a hand to pull that man or woman out of bondage is giving that person liberty, providing that man or woman with the ability to make choices that will change his or her life and set it in a better direction. I may have missed the original point I aimed for when I started this post, but I like where it has gone. I think President Barack Obama said it best: "The commitments we make to each other – through Medicare, and Medicaid, and Social Security – these things do not sap our initiative; they strengthen us. They do not make us a nation of takers; they free us to take the risks that make this country great."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment