I recently read some ridiculous report that rated the top ten low stress jobs. Coming in at number one was college professor. Huh? How on earth did they determine that? Look, I love my job, but low stress it is not. I have every deadline my students have and more, not to mention the expectations for scholarly contributions to one's field, which can be excruciatingly demanding at some universities, especially if one wishes to gain tenure. Then, perhaps, the stress dies down a little, but one needs to bust one's butt to get there and needs to bust it for years. Also, some of the claims that the report made about the profession were completely false or at best only true in scarce circumstances. There's a stress-free job for you, reporting on ridiculous studies.
I bring this up because I have started a new semester, and I am too far behind where I need to be. Because sickness (my own as well as that of everyone in the family) wiped me out for the last three weeks. All I needed was one or two days to sit down and finish the syllabi for this semester's courses. Sadly, in the last three weeks, I didn't have even a couple of hours where I could function well enough to do it. That leaves me finishing construction on the fly. The biggest challenge comes tomorrow. I am actually scared. Eek!
No comments:
Post a Comment