Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sick of Other Stuff, Too

I am sick of being sick. This has not been the worst sickness I have ever had, but it has been the most annoying. It will not let me go, and it fakes me out throughout the day with inklings of feeling better. However, I am also sick of writing and talking about being sick. There are some other things that make me sick. One of those is the unbelievable un-Christ-like reactions to Wear Pants to Church Day. In my estimation, not a single person who criticized it bothered to learn what it was really about. My wife has said it the absolute best, so I invite everyone who reads this post to read my wife's words on the subject, if you really, honestly want to understand; otherwise, you're the hypocrite you make others out to be. Before I go, however, I will add something. In the wake of the event today, someone said that, in case anyone was wondering, she wore a dress today because she is happy with her role as a woman. It is hard for me to leave that alone because, like it or not, words have meaning (even unintended meaning [read "Freudian"]), and the things we say always have unintended consequences. I make my living studying words, turns of phrase, etc. and teaching others how to do the same. How do I view these words then? Well, I ask a question to all women out there: What is your (you specifically) role as a woman? To assume a feminist is not happy with her role as a woman is to misunderstand feminism completely. No one is happier or more proud to be a woman than a feminist. Have you not heard the Helen Reddy anthem? If you are happy to wear a dress because of a social construct, because of a society that has dictated that is what the submissive sex should do (look pretty and twirly), that a woman, just as much as a man, should not be ready to roll up her sleeves and go to work (go, Rosie!), then by all means, wear your dress and stand for everything it represents. Yes, I know, I know, someone is bound to turn the tables on me and say, "how dare you generalize and stereotype in the name of fighting against stereotypes and generalizations." Well, I will finish on this note. Read my words carefully. There is far more meaning than what lies on the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment