Saturday, December 1, 2012

Much Needed R & R (Rest and Recovery)

I have another "fun" blog post brewing. It may be controversial, but you'll need to wait for it. I would like to report on the end of what I should probably now call hell week. I put my body through the ringer, gave it as much as I knew it could handle then pushed well beyond that, until my muscles almost snapped, literally. I could feel my leg muscles wanted to cramp in the middle of playing racquetball yesterday, which had me concerned because I still had a 35 minute return home bicycle ride to deal with. Fortunately, I made it, sans cramping. Then I plowed through a trail run this morning that pushed beyond 1:45 (that's running time). I was going all out to break in and test the limits of another pair of minimalist running shoes made for trail running. I was impressed. Great response and plenty of protection from jagged rocks. My feet and Achilles tendon areas have probably suffered the most because I am using them in ways I have not ever done, or at least have not done for many years. In fact, I am probably working specific foot muscles that were either dormant or had never been properly worked. This makes for some sore feet. Totals for the end of the week:

  • 602 minutes of exercise (or 10 hours and two minutes)
  • Approximately 9500 calories burned
Additionally, as far as my calories (type and quantity), it was one of the best eating weeks I have had in a long time. My obsession with health and fitness will continue (after all, I have at least 15 pounds I want to shale), but I will try not to keep bombarding you with it. I'll start mixing it up again soon. Tomorrow, I am looking forward to a long day mostly off my feet: they have done more than enough work this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment