Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Standing on the Ledge

The cleverly named Fiscal Cliff is four weeks away, and a lot of people in this country are frantically running around, some ready to through themselves off a cliff. Why, oh, why is everyone in this country so afraid to pay more taxes? Americans pay one of the lowest tax rates in the world among developed nations. In fact, I believe that only Mexicans and Chileans pay a lower tax rate. It amazes me that these same people who refuse to pay more taxes are the same ones who continuously complain about the deficit. How are we supposed to reduce the deficit without revenue? Oh, that's right, spending cuts. Let's see, how can I explain this so that we can all understand. If one wants to lose weight in a healthy way, one cannot do it by diet alone. Exercise is just as important. Think of exercise as creating a calorie deficit, burning the excess your body has built up as debt that could lead to bankruptcy, something you don't want to happen with the body. Have I lost you in the metaphor yet? Okay, maybe I am a little lost because I am tired and unable to think straight. Let me try a different approach. I read the following on Facebook today:

"Just got an email from my payroll to notify me of tax increases on Social Security and Medicare for next month and also the elimination of the 10% tax bracket and the raising of all other tax brackets by 3% ...Fiscal Cliff here we come January 2013. Thank you Obama for making it more difficult for me and my household to survive month to month."

How is this President Obama's fault? For years, Americans and America, basically, have been kiting, and it finally caught up with us a few years ago, thanks largely to deregulation and low tax rates. You cannot run a country without money. If we go over the cliff, will it hurt? Yes, a little. More for some than others, but we can adjust. Look at most of the rest of the world. Look at Finland, as a fine example. It has the best education system in the world, one of the world's best economies, and some of the happiest people in the world, and they pay one of the highest tax rates in the world; they even subsidize higher education. 

Look, I don't make big bucks. In fact, even for my profession, I make well below the average, so my family knows a little about financial struggle. However, I am ready and willing to pay more taxes if it helps make this country work more effectively, and it will. So suck it up, America. Look at the rest of the world. We'll adjust, and when we look back years from now, maybe then we will all realize what drama queens we were. 




No comments:

Post a Comment