Thursday, December 6, 2012

Smoke Inhalation

We attended the Buena Vista Christmas Parade tonight, and for a small town, you would be amazed, I think, at the grandness of it. The Things, obviously, enjoyed it. Thing 2, just as he did during the Lexington Christmas Parade last week, chose to run up and down the street (well, on the sidewalk) almost the entire time. We attended last year's parade under much cooler circumstances, but one thing I don't remember so vividly was the nearly hazy night air, filled with the toxic fumes of cigarette smoke. I think I can honestly say that I have never seen so many people smoking in one place in my life. It felt like a smokers' convention, as if the parade was the sole excuse for the entire world to have one smoke together. Also, I don't think I have seen so many rednecks and hill people in one place at the same time, either. It made me wonder where I was for the first time since we moved here 18 months ago. Seriously, though, what is with the smoking, people? Can you not resist it for one stickin' hour while surrounded by hundreds of children? Unbelievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment