Sunday, December 9, 2012

Why Should We Forget?

I almost missed this year's anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. To be fair, I have been awfully self-centered lately, with a lot on my mind (see recent posts). I say almost missed it because, fortunately, one Facebook friend (at least the only one I saw in my news feed) made mention of the anniversary. How is it that so many people are calling for a holiday to commemorate the 9/11 attacks, but few people seem to remember one of the most horrific events in our history and something that happened not too long ago, considering the expanse of history and the fact that many people are still alive that remember the day it happened. Additionally, it finally sucked the USA into what would end up as one of the bloodiest, most devastating wars in world history. So much changed because of World War II and the US's involvement, and so many men and women lost their lives in the horrific event that forced us finally to declare war on Japan, yet the anniversary passes, as far as I have experienced, with less and less attention each year, and it makes me wonder why, why anyone would want to turn his or her back on such a profound historical event that continues to affect, to some degree, the world we live in today and the way we look at or approach that world.

2 comments:

  1. There were about 150 Pearl Harbor Day reminders on my news feed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm . . . I guess I have the wrong Facebook friends. :)

      Delete