Sadly, no, this isn't my promised post on gun control, I just wanted to discuss something briefly. The NRA and many passionate advocates of the right to bear arms want the nation to believe that President Obama and many Democrats want to take away their guns. They think that gun control means repealing the second amendment and enslaving the American people. This is as bad as some Republicans saying that Democrats are pro-abortion. Really? I know no one who is pro-abortion. Giving someone the right to choose does not mean that that person or anyone else wants to commit murder. For the record, I am Democrat, and I am pro-life or anti-abortion, if you prefer. But even the belief system upon which my own belief is founded allows for an abortion in cases of rape, incest, or if the mother's health is at risk. This is a good place to return to guns.
As a Democrat, I want you to know that I also fully support the right to bear arms. In fact, most Democrats I know are just as passionate about defending that right as any Republican or NRA member. Where I differ is in the actual need for guns. For example, why would one man need dozens of rifles and hand guns and the ammunition to reload several times? I have met people like this. I have met people who would carry a gun to church just because they could. RI-DIC-U-LOUS! But I am willing to concede the numbers. Why not? People like to collect things. I certainly enjoy more than one of many different things: books, desserts, games, etc. So stock up. But we need to draw the line somewhere. Far too many people can too easily get their hands on automatic weapons and assault rifles. Really, folks? Why? Are you planning on fighting a war? Sadly, there are far too many people who believe that very thing, and some of them, scary as it may sound, think that war will be against their own country. I know someone who once said, and I am paraphrasing, that he wondered at what point, when "they" come to take his guns, that he will have to start shooting police or soldiers. This man, a good Christian, a family man, can only think about bloodshed, murder, if the government decides to take away his guns. I have news for him. It will never happen. The second amendment is not in any danger, but even if someone came to take his guns, it would only be because it was illegal to have them. But, hey, what's a little murder when you're already breaking the law? Again, the right to bear arms will never be taken from Americans, despite the propaganda that suggests otherwise. We simply need to exercise greater control over the way people buy and sell guns. It's perfectly logical. Many products, that we have the right to own, are regulated far more than guns, and I mean products that are far less dangerous.
Well, how about that. Maybe this wasn't my promised post, but it turned into something a little more than I expected.
No comments:
Post a Comment