Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sleep Deprived

I have spoken to my lack of sleep before, yet I lack the motivation to do anything about it. Most of my readers know that I used to weigh over 400 pounds, so I hit the gym and exercise like a maniac most days. Part of that exercise includes training so that I can keep myself in shape for the next triathlon. The problem is that in all of my research, I have learned as much as anything else how important recovery is for muscles and joints. One of the best ways to recover is to rest and sleep. In fact, I have read how many professional triathletes sleep as much as ten hours a night. Lack of sleep, and, therefore, lack of recovery has led to poor performance in the gym and when I am pounding the pavement. I can feel it in my legs far too often. I usually still get in some good exercise, but I know it would be far more effective, and that I would also eat far better, if I disciplined myself to go to better earlier every night. Sadly, I am in the middle of a bad streak wherein I cannot find the motivation to go to bed regardless of what the morning workout will bring. I am writing this at 11:12 pm on a Sunday night (usually the worst night for going to bed because I am always trying to hold onto  the weekend). The funny thing is that I don't dread the rest of the week. I have gone to bed near or after midnight for the last few night. That wouldn't be as bad if I didn't have a 23-month-old boy who loved to wake up between 5:30 and 6:00 every morning. Anyway, just thinking "out loud" and sharing some disappointment in myself. One day I'll come around, and when that day comes, wow, I will be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment