Friday, August 17, 2012

Road Food

I have said many times that when we travel, it's all about the food. Sometimes, we will travel just for food. One of my favorite pre-road-trip rituals is perusing a specific website in an attempt to plan out the trip's eats. Roadfood.com is a great resource for finding that wonderful comfort food, greasy spoon kind of place, similar to some of the places Guy Fieri visits on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, another website I will sift through before a road trip. There is nothing like discovering a gem on my own, but a little help is always welcome. The road food website has a rating system that goes all the way up to "Worth driving from anywhere." Well, we made a trip today, but not to a road food joint, but it is a joint I am willing to drive at least 35 minutes to eat at. One of the best burgers I have ever eaten resides in a joint that can, these days, be found all over the country but especially in the east: Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Even their fries are off the charts good: fresh cut potatoes directly from Idaho, fried in peanut oil: AH-MAZING! Not having had a good Five Guys burger in a while, we decided to road trip up to Staunton and enjoy the "greazy" goodness. Oh, how I missed that flavor. It was a fun day; we even found a fund park for the Things to go crazy in. A good family day, worth the drive, from almost anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment